Maybe you’ve launched a couple products on Amazon before, and you want to stay current with the best strategies for your next launch. Or maybe you’re launching a product for the first time and you want to avoid newbie mistakes. Either way, you’ll learn something in this post, which helps you learn how to market your private label or branded product on Amazon.
What your Amazon product launch should include
Developing the right timeline for your Amazon product launch will be determined by your experience and how much time you can devote to this new product. However, the main features of your product launch remain the same. You need to include:
- PPC traffic
- Organic traffic
- Listing optimization for conversions
- Listing optimization for SEO traffic
- Quality photographs that contextualize and sell the product
- Review request campaign (product insert or email request)
The basics of launching a product on Amazon
This is a quick overview for the newbies (skip this part if you’re experienced). The benefit of launching your ecommerce product on Amazon, instead of a Shopify or BigCommerce website to start, is that you gain access to customers of Amazon.com, estimated to be 300 million.
There are an estimated 2 million sellers on Amazon. For any product, there are thousands of search results.
The search term “ice cream scoop” yields 4,000 results.
At the most basic level, you have two core strategies when launching your product:
- Try to show up on page 1 of Amazon search results
- Try to get external traffic to come to your Amazon product listing directly and buy your product (without searching for it first)
Within those two main strategies, there are of course other strategies.
Try to show up on page 1 of Amazon search results:
- Organic ranking (optimize your listings for search terms)
- PPC traffic (spend on Amazon ads for relevant keyphrases)
Try to get external traffic to come to your Amazon product listing directly and buy your product:
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
- Content marketing, including blogs, videos and webinars
And yes, within each of those strategies, things get complicated.
Your task list for a successful Amazon product launch
So which core strategy should you choose? Try to rank in Amazon search or build up external traffic?